Even though the building was built in 1955, its actual occupation as a museum took place in 1971. The double storied building contains the largest and most important archaeological collection in the country. The antiquaries displayed relate to the history of the ancient Kush kingdom and the Nubia’s Christian period.
Among the exhibits displayed in the gardens surrounding the museum are the two Egyptian temples of Buhen Temple and Semna Temple, which were originally built by Hatshepsut and Tuthmosis III. The two temples wee rescued by UNESCO and relocated to Khartoum upon the flooding caused by Lake Nasser.